[LINK] NBN domestic installations

Paul Brooks pbrooks-link at layer10.com.au
Thu Mar 3 17:26:07 AEDT 2016

On 3/03/2016 4:56 PM, David Lochrin wrote:
> But back to domestic _FTTN_ installations...
>
> Does anyone know whether some form of network termination device is installed?
NBNCo do not install any form of NTD or CPE. Ideally your ISP will supply a suitable
VDSL2 modem/router, or you will need to procure one yourself.
It does need to be one of the models tested and approved by NBNCo to have all the
VDSL2 functions and options required - some VDSL2-capable modems on the market do not.
Perhaps ask your ISP for a list. They might need to ask NBNCo for the list.

> If so, does it:
> (a)   include a VoIP adapter and an Ethernet interface for data, similar to FTTP installations,
It might or might not - NBNCo are certifying the VDSL2 part, not the user-facing
ports, of VDSL2 modems they are testing.

> (b)   or does it just provide the Ethernet data interface without the VoIP adapter,
> (c)   or does it just provide raw VDSL?
>
> If (a) or (b), the average non-technical householder would need an approved electrican to run LAN cable from the NTD to their WiFi or whatever router and set it up.  If (c), the electrician might have to isolate the POTS wiring from the VDSL so there's no interference, and the householder still needs someone to set up the router and VoIP adapter.
Usual deployment is for the VDSL2-capable modem/router to replace any existing ADSL2+
gear, and so there is no need to connect old to new. Alternatively, possibly the new
VDSL2-capable modem can be put into some sort of 'passthrough' mode, if the old ADSL2+
modem also supports an ethernet uplink.

There does need to be a central filter/splitter installed on the telephone line to
isolate POTS from VDSL2, and reduce noise on the VDSL2 spectrum. There was talk that
NBNCo contractor should install this when the FTTN service is enabled, but I'm not
across the latest version of the process - it might be something the end-user has to
arrange with a sparky themselves. The ISP should know.

For voice - you'd hope the ISP can program up the VoIP capability in the new VDSL2
modem  to talk to their softswitch, so all the end-user has to do is plug their
handset cord into the analogue socket on the modem - but you'll need to check with the
ISP (not NBNCo. NBNCo doesn't do voice). If the ISP is supplying the VDSL2-capable
modem, hopefully they have it all programmed up already and the user doesn't have to
do much.

There has also been rumours that NBNCo are doing 'voice passthrough', and the analogue
POTS signal will remain on the line and keep the handset connected through to the
exchange, so there is no need to move the voice service to a VoIP port on the modem.
This is likely to be a temporary measure though.

Hope this helps, but check everything with the ISP. If the ISP doesn't know, they need
to check with NBNCo, because the ISP *should* know all this.

Paul.