[LINK] NBN domestic installations

Andy Farkas andyf at andyit.com.au
Sun Mar 6 10:33:32 AEDT 2016

On 06/03/2016 08:51, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On 06/03/16 01:22, Andy Farkas wrote:
>>
>> That was then. Now we're talking about how malcs destroyed the
>> previous NBNv1 plan. Back then, an NTU was supplied, for free, in
>> to the premises. You connected your computer straight into it. No
>> modem required.
>
> Not really - that gives you exactly one computer connection. You had
> to supply your own router (or accept your reseller's bundle) if you
> wanted more than one computer, WiFi, a firewall etc.

Are you trying to deliberately miss the point, especially since
you cut out all the context? FTTP provides a ready to go service
that does not need a modem.

Technically, you can plug in 4 ethernet connections into the NTU.
(and also two phones)

If you want a LAN in your home you will need a router. You *may*
be able to use your existing one but possibly not.

With FTTN you will *have* to get a new modem/router/voip device.

And as Craig pointed out, not many of them do bridged mode.

-andyf