[LINK] FTTN notes

Paul Brooks pbrooks-link at layer10.com.au
Sun Mar 20 14:41:15 AEDT 2016

On 18/03/2016 5:48 PM, Andy Farkas wrote:

> Also #5 - It's not "If a user subscribes to a VoIP voice service" but rather "When a
> user is forced to subscribe to a VoIP voice service".

Pedantic - its a "voice service", not a "VoIP voice service". It might use VoIP
technology from the modem or NTU into the network to the ISP, but if the service
interface is a standard 4-pin analogue socket then its a conventional voice service,
and the VoIP bit is immaterial, its just a transport method that the provider worries
about.

Its only a "VoIP service" if the provider tells you all the SIP  or H.323 signalling
details and requires you to provide your own VoIP gateway, possibly built into a VoIP
handset.

For those that care about such things - its still the PSTN, but its no longer POTS.
Many people use the two terms interchangeably, but they aren't.

My personal opinion is that this is a good thing, and the transition to digital
telephony can't happen fast enough. Audio quality can finally improve over the awful
'toll quality' rubbish benchmark we've been limited to for the past 100 years while
we've been tied to analogue POTS.

Paul.