[LINK] Pirate Party Telecommunications Policy

Stephen Rothwell sfr at rothwell.id.au
Fri May 13 17:33:17 AEST 2016

Hi David,

On Fri, 13 May 2016 16:39:10 +1000 David Boxall <linkdb at boxall.name> wrote:

> On 13/05/2016 3:58 PM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> >
> > TransACT is FTTN ... I *think* (but do not know) that the fibre is
> > (mostly) underground and the copper is either underground or overhead
> > (in 100 pair bundles?).
> I have relatives with TransACT services. The fibre runs along the back
> fence, strung between power poles. It's HFC; from the power pole to the
> house is coaxial cable.Newer installations may well be FttN.

It only occurred to me later that you may be talking about TransACT in
central Victoria (where they do have HFC).  My experience is in
Canberra (where the "ACT" bit of the name comes from).  In the ACT, I
don't think that they did any HFC it was all fibre to supernodes and
nodes and copper from the nodes (and now from supernodes) to the
premises.  All VDSL and now VDSL2.  They also did some FTTP (which has
been sold to nbn).

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TransACT (which is now out of date).
--
Cheers,