[LINK] New Russian nuclear missile

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Tue Nov 1 08:40:09 AEDT 2016

On 30/10/16 15:48, Stephen Loosley quoteded Loz Blain's "Russia unveils
massive new Satan 2 ICBM nuclear missiles"
http://newatlas.com/rs28-sarmat-satan-2-russian-icbm/46127/

> "... worthy of its NATO nickname: Satan 2.

NATO has a process for inventing names of weapons systems. They tend to
pick unflattering ones: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_reporting_name

> ... 24,500  km/h. That's about seven times faster than the SR-71
> Blackbird ever went.

The SR-71 is an aircraft, whereas the Satan 2 is a ballistic missile. It
is not unusual for a ballistic missile to travel faster than aircraft.

> Its payload capacity is an enormous 10 tons, allowing it to carry up
> to 10 heavy warheads ..."

Okay, that is impressive, but not a lot of use. A weapon which can make
a large part of the planet uninhabitable is not something you can use,
only threaten to use.

It might be more use as an anti-ship missile, as China is trying to do
with the DF 21D, to target aircraft carriers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DF-21#DF-21D

However, why are we discussing this on Link? I suggest a more relevant
threat is cyber-warfare, where you can't be sure who is attacking you,
or even if you are under attack.

ps: If you would like a job in cyber-security, ANU is hiring. A new
building is under construction, which will have ANU computer science and
projects sponsored by the Australian Signals Directorate:
http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/2016/10/anu-cyber-security-lecturers-required.html

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/

Adjunct Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science, College of
Engineering & Computer Science, Australian National University
http://people.cecs.anu.edu.au/user/3890 http://orcid.org/0000-0003-4799-8464