[LINK] MyGov down today

Karl Schaffarczyk karl.schaffarczyk at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 20:05:15 AEDT 2016

The gov't seems to be having a bit of a bad run, the NDIS portal was mostly
non-functional for about three months, and the problems are ongoing for
many providers and many participants alike.

One must question the wisdom of centralising government services,
particularly where they are left vulnerable to DDoS attacks, and have such
obvious problems with scaling.

I recall there used to be a DAS (Dept of Administrative Services) provided
Internet services area which was dealing with many of these issues in the
late 90s and early 00s. Does anyone recall why this approach was disbanded?

Amazon has many advantages in terms of reliability and scaling. The
difficulties with using something like Amazon seem obvious to me once
client data is loaded into the respective web application, so I ask anyone
who advocates for Amazon: How would you serve the privacy and sovereignty
issues with using a private and overseas service such as Amazon?

Karl