[LINK] The NBN, as re-imagined

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Sat Nov 5 08:37:26 AEDT 2016

On 03/11/16 18:09, Narelle wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 8:25 AM, Tom Worthington wrote:
>
>> Iridium, ORBCOMM, Globalstar, Thuraya and Inmarsat offer low speed
>> satellite data services for such applications. ...
>
> But the cost of that could be despicable ...

My dollar a day estimate included contract and start-up costs.

> ... more than a small status message ...

The application was controlling a water pump. That should not need more
than a few bytes of data a day.

> ... original poster wants is a reliable installation
> time when they said they'd do it.

Iridium, ORBCOMM, Globalstar, Thuraya and Inmarsat low speed data
services are designed for use with hand-held equipment, which does not
require installation.

It would be interesting to see what scope there is for producing a
user-installable NBN satellite ground-station. NBN is using dish
antennas which have to be carefully positioned and connected to a
separate electronics box. But there are flat plate antennas which do not
need such precise positioning and have the electronics built in.

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/

Adjunct Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science, College of
Engineering & Computer Science, Australian National University
http://people.cecs.anu.edu.au/user/3890 http://orcid.org/0000-0003-4799-8464