[LINK] Unassigned IPv4 addresses exhausted

Stephen Loosley StephenLoosley at outlook.com
Fri Nov 11 18:47:15 AEDT 2016

This week the world Internet Architect Board has advised that unassigned IVP4 addresses are now exhausted ...

“IAB Statement on IPv6”

Posted on 2016-11-07 by Cindy Morgan
https://www.iab.org/2016/11/07/iab-statement-on-ipv6/

The Internet Architecture Board (IAB), following discussions in the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), advises its partner Standards Development Organizations (SDOs) and organizations that the pool of unassigned IPv4 addresses has been exhausted.

As a result we are seeing an increase in both dual-stack (that is, both IPv4 and IPv6) and IPv6-only deployments, a trend that will only accelerate.

Therefore, networking standards need to fully support IPv6. The IETF as well as other SDOs need to ensure that their standards do not assume IPv4.

The IAB expects that the IETF will stop requiring IPv4 compatibility in new or extended protocols.

Future IETF protocol work will then optimize for and depend upon IPv6.

We recommend that all networking standards assume the use of IPv6, and be written so they do not require IPv4.

We recommend that existing standards be reviewed to ensure they will work with IPv6, and use IPv6 examples.

The key issue for SDOs is to remove any obstacles in their standards which prevent or slow down the transition in different environments.

We encourage the industry to develop strategies for IPv6-only operation. We welcome reports of where gaps in standards remain, requiring further developments in IPv6 or other protocols. We are also ready to provide support or assistance in bridging those gaps. (End quote)

---

However, at present, both the world and Australia have a fair way to go in terms of IPv6 adoption.

According to Google, the world percentage that access them over IPv6 was 10% in Jan this year, and is 15% now.

Reference: https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html

Cheers,
Stephen