[LINK] http://www.greater.sydney/

David Lochrin dlochrin at key.net.au
Wed Nov 23 15:05:23 AEDT 2016

On Wednesday 23 November 2016 14:06:54 Sam Silvester wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 1:30 PM, Marghanita da Cruz <marghanita at ramin.com.au wrote:
>
>> David mentioned the site was hosted by Amazon Technologies - presumeably because it said so somewhere.
>
> Ok. From a quick look around, it doesn't look like it's advertised on the site itself. I suspect David might be gleaning that information from whois / DNS records, as opposed to any free advertising.

Yes, that's right.  The <greater.sydney> website invites people to add information there, but I can't find any clues as to where the data lives.  I think there's a strong implication that it's a NSW Government site, which I suppose it is in some legal sense, but a little bit of research beginning with the domain name apparently shows it's hosted by Amazon Web Hosting Services in a "cloud" managed by Equinix.

See for example
https://aws.amazon.com/directconnect/directconnectbundles/
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/directconnect/latest/UserGuide/Colocation.html

I wonder how much else of the State Government data resides in the Amazon cloud, and how many "direct connect" links there are between all sorts of organisations?  It's potentially a private internet.

DavidL