[LINK] 'Public-Private cybersecurity centres'

Frank O'Connor francisoconnor3 at bigpond.com
Wed Oct 26 17:52:51 AEDT 2016

Right On, Roger,

What utter BS!

Government security mavens (in the DSD) lost me when they told me something I was trying to implement was TOO SECURE (PGP based secure e-mail), they couldn’t crack it, and therefore they couldn’t approve it.

But little numbers like establishing a government AusCERT, 5 or 10 years back, instead of funding the existing (and very well performed, independent local CERT in Queensland reinforced this opinion. I can imagine the rationale, “Yes, CERT is doing a great job, yes they’re experienced and have a terrific record, yes they’re pretty much on top of it with their threat matrix and advices, yes it would only cost us a fraction of what the government run alternative would, sure we have very few (read ‘none’) security experts of our own and none of them are even remotely familiar with TCP/IP and up to date threats and techniques…. but think of the Empire we’ll be able to create, the massive annual Budget allocations we’ll get. No people, we definitely need AusCERT - otherwise all that lovely moolah will go elsewhere.”

An what has AusCERT since done for us?

And then there was the presumed sign off by our government security mavens on the recent Census site … ‘Nuff said.

Their highest state of alert seems to be 'Asleep at the Wheel’ … but their default is ‘Lying Under the Truck’ I probably have better security on my home network than anything the government has in place … and I don’t obsess about security.

Just my 2 cents worth …
---