[LINK] NBN spin

David Boxall linkdb at boxall.name
Sun Aug 6 15:52:10 AEST 2017

Our government (via nbn™) is looking increasingly desperate.
http://www.bellingencourier.com.au/story/4811850/nbn-responds-to-last-weeks-letter/
The spin in that response is ... about par for the course. Carefully
cherry-picked statistics and factoids that present a deceitful picture.

I'll concentrate on one:
"The Fixed Wireless network has the capability of delivering Gigabit
speeds as proven through recent trials in country Victoria."
That test used (IIRC) seven user-channels and three W-NTDs in parallel.
For perspective, I quote from the NBN design rules (page 41):
"The maximum bandwidth planned for the Microwave Hub Site back to a FAN
site is 900Mbps, allowing for the aggregation of up to 8 eNodeBs, with a
maximum of 2640 End Users."
So, up to 900 Mb/s, shared between up to 2,640 premises. In case you
missed it, 900 Mb/s is less than 1 Gb/s - and it's shared by the better
part of 3,000 users!
http://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/nbnco2/documents/network-design-rules.pdf

--
David Boxall                    |  Australia's problem isn't fake news,
                                 |  it's fake government.
http://david.boxall.id.au       | --Ross Gittins
                                     Sydney Morning Herald 27 March 2017