[LINK] Progress Report on Googong Wings

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Tue Aug 8 08:36:43 AEST 2017

On 07/08/17 08:16, Roger Clarke wrote:
> [Google Wings is piloting its delivery drones (in both senses of the word) at a small new residential area called Googong, outside Queanbeyan NSW ...

Keep in mind that Google try a lot of things, only some of which become
products or services.

One thing interesting with "Google Wings" is the hybrid aircraft. Unlike
the the typical 'copter drone, optimized for vertical flight, the Google
Wings drone had wings and motors for forward propulsion. It appears to
be designed to take off vertically, using twelve lift motors, transition
to horizontal flight with two larger motors and at the destination land
vertically. This suggests ti could travel longer distances. However, I
still don't see this becoming a mainstream service.

Google previously tried a tail sitting flying wing design:
https://web.archive.org/web/20141105011555/http://aviationweek.com/technology/google-details-project-wing-unmanned-package-delivery-rd

--
Tom Worthington, MEd, FACS CP.  http://www.tomw.net.au t +61(0)419496150
TomW Communications Pty Ltd.    PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia

Honorary Lecturer, Computer Science, Australian National University
https://cecs.anu.edu.au/research/profile/tom-worthington