[LINK] itN: Vic pretence of cybersecurity action

David Lochrin dlochrin at key.net.au
Wed Aug 30 12:21:17 AEST 2017

On Tuesday 29 August 2017 at 08:47 Tom Worthington wrote:

> Yes, the report has a "COMPLETE SET OF ACTIONS" on page 23. But this consists mostly of establishing boards and committees, not hiring or training people in cyber security.

But the report emphasises the importance of a holistic approach: "The time for an agency-by-agency (only) approach has passed.  We need to address these risks strategically, and where it makes sense, holistically."  It's unlikely that can be achieved by hiring hoards of eager cyber-security nerds; it sounds as though they already have enough.

As an IBM consultant once was wont to say: "We need grey hair on this one!".

David L.