[LINK] BIRRR MEDIA RELEASE: February 8, 2017

David Boxall linkdb at boxall.name
Thu Feb 9 15:12:40 AEDT 2017

People should not have to go to such lengths, just to be treated equitably.

<https://birrraus.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/final-birrr-submissions-media-release-2.pdf>
> [...]
> week, the group showcases the need for RRR consumers to be able to
> access user-friendly telecommunications services that meet their
> specific needs.
>
> Kristy said there is a sweeping assumption (by nbn and providers) that
> all users have the technical expertise to know how to get and stay
> connected for voice and broadband requirements.
>
> “Other essential service providers in RRR areas manage to do their own
> troubleshooting of issues, they don’t rely on a volunteer group (like
> BIRRR) to do it for them. The telecommunications industry should be
> appalled for their apathetic attitude to regional consumers.”
>
> “The divide we are facing - a serious communications divide - is
> ongoing and growing and has been created as a direct lack of support
> offered to RRR Australians.”
>
> Kristy told the Productivity Commission that ‘every Australian,
> irrespective of where they live or work, should be confident they can
> access quality, reliable, accessible & affordable voice and broadband
> services with customer support guarantees.’
>
> The BIRRR group also confirmed it could NOT give full support to a
> Telecommunications Reform Package that does not establish safeguards
> in relation to Statutory Infrastructure Provider (SIP) performance,
> calling on the Government to review nbn policy and direction.
>
> While BIRRR appreciates recent developments in telecommunications such
> as further mobile blackspot funding and the launch of Sky Muster
> Satellites, Kristy says “she is astounded that there is no uniform
> scheme, safeguards or legislation proposed to deliver reliable and
> equitable voice and broadband services for all Australians.”
>
> “On behalf of all Australians, I wish that the Government and
> telecommunication industry would STOP focusing on speed, and start
> delivering reliability, affordability, accessibility, quality of
> service and customer service,” Kristy said.
>
> She called for real change lead by government, rather than endless
> bureaucratic inaction.
>
> “There have been countless submissions, reviews, regulations and
> studies, but very limited action and targeted funding. There has been
> a focus on costs and broadband speeds but not on productivity, human
> life and livelihoods.
>
> “RRR Australia contribute a large proportion of Australia’s GDP and
> live across 80% of Australia's landmass. They do this in some of the
> most hostile and hazardous locations, making their need for reliable
> telecommunications paramount."
>
> BIRRR is urging the Government to acknowledge that now it is time to
> be proactive and solve the telecommunications issues raised in these
> reports, with a serious commitment to ensure that no Australian is
> disadvantaged.
>
> “Frankly we should NOT have to constantly do battle to simply remain
> connected.”
>
> The BIRRR Submissions are available on their website for public viewing.
BIRRR PC USO SUBMISSION
<https://birrraus.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/birrr-draft-uso-submission-publicsm1.pdf>
BIRRR TELECOMMS REFORM PACKAGE SUBMISSION
<https://birrraus.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/telecommunications-reform-package-birrr-submission.pdf>

--
David Boxall               |  Whatever we do or fail to do,
http://david.boxall.id.au  |  we remain responsible for the consequences