[LINK] Telstra switches on millionth hotspot

Stephen Loosley StephenLoosley at outlook.com
Mon Jun 19 13:05:57 AEST 2017

Sort-of news .. and free Telstra WiFi .. for a day …

Telstra switches on millionth hotspot

    19 June 2017   Written by  Sam Varghese
    https://www.itwire.com/business-technology/78573-telstra-switches-on-millionth-hotspot.html

Telstra has switched on the millionth hotspot in its national Wi-Fi network, with the city of Mildura being the location for the same.

The company said in a statement that to mark the achievement, it would give all Australians with a Wi-Fi-enabled device free and unlimited access to more than 4000 Telstra Air hotspots on 20 June which is World Wi-Fi Day.

It said that, in collaboration with Instagram, it had found the top locations from where users posted vistas and selfies to the image-sharing site.

Telstra’s general manager for Telstra Air, Viveca Samuelsson, said Australians were getting savvier at seeking out Wi-Fi hotspots to avoid tapping into their mobile data, with usage on the network more than doubling in the past year.

With hotspots in some of the most iconic and snap-worthy locations around Australia, Telstra Air is helping Aussies up their ‘Insta game’,” Samuelsson said.

“And with a million hotspots now live, our eligible mobile and broadband customers can tap into free and unlimited Wi-Fi data to stream, share and post at more of their favourite beach areas, parks, shopping precincts and holiday destinations.

“To celebrate the rapid growth of the network and to recognise the huge role Wi-Fi plays in our lives, we’re opening up our public hotspots for World Wi-Fi Day on Tuesday.”

The most Instagrammed locations by state in the 12 months to December 2016:

    Bondi Beach, New South Wales;
    St Kilda Beach, Victoria;
    Surfers Paradise Beach, Queensland;
    Fremantle Beach, Western Australia;
    Glenelg Beach, South Australia; and
    Museum of Old and New Art (MONA), Tasmania.

How to get online free on 20 June

If you’re already a Telstra Air customer – continue to use the Telstra Air app and access Wi-Fi free.

If you’re at a Telstra Air public hotspot (pink payphone and some Telstra stores)

Step 1: Open the list of available networks on your mobile device and connect to: Telstra Free Wi-Fi

Step 2: A pop up browser should automatically open; if it doesn’t Open an internet browser on your device (Safari, Google Chrome, IE etc). Try to access any website (Facebook, YouTube). This will trigger the portal to open.

Step 3: Click Connect to accept the Terms and conditions.

Step 4: You will see a success screen and can now access free Wi-Fi.