[LINK] RRRCC Media Release on Broadband Monitoring [Was] PC report on the USO Inquiry is out

David Boxall linkdb at boxall.name
Mon Jun 19 21:18:50 AEST 2017

Bush communications coalition calls for broadband monitoring to be expanded
The Regional, Rural and Remote Communications Coalition (RRRCC) is
calling on all broadband users to consider volunteering to be a part of
the ACCC's Broadband Performance Monitoring Program.
The Program will see consumers receive independent information about
broadband speeds based on feedback from remote testing at more than 4000
households.
Specifically, the Coalition is calling on consumers on fixed wireless
and satellite technology to register to be involved.
“The ACCC funding does not extend to these services but we firmly
believe that it should,” National Farmers’ Federation (NFF) President,
Fiona Simson said.
Ms Simson said the initiative was welcomed, however it was disappointing
that the needs of regional people were not adequately considered by the
failure to include fixed wireless and satellite.
"Regional, rural and remote consumers are entitled to the equivalent
level of broadband information as their urban counterparts.
“Having this information is vital to create transparency and
accountability about the standard of services provided to people in
regional, rural and remote Australia.
“It is telling that even ACCC Commissioner, Rod Sims, has acknowledged
the majority of complaints about broadband speeds are from regional
areas," Ms Simson said.
“Today we are making a call to action for broadband consumers,
particularly fixed wireless and satellite users, to volunteer for the
program.
“By making our voice heard we can highlight the need for broadband
performance monitoring for these service, and in turn demand a fair deal
for all consumers.”

David Boxall                    |  Australia's problem isn't fake news,
                                 |  it's fake government.
http://david.boxall.id.au       |                        --Ross Gittins
                                     Sydney Morning Herald 27 March 2017