[LINK] Spells Against Autonomy

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Thu Mar 23 15:58:58 AEDT 2017

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017, Kim Holburn wrote:

> I have lived in cities where pedestrians can just walk over a road and
> cars will avoid them (mostly).  Every country and city is different of
> course.
>
> You say "If my driverless car is stopping every few metres while on city
> streets to allow a jaywalker across" like it's a bad thing.  Also like a
> DRIVER.  If you are in a driverless car you are not a DRIVER any more.
> You will be in the back seat doing something else.  Surfing the
> interwebs or whatever people in the driverless car era do.  You probably
> won't notice.

For the moment (AFAIK) someone still needs to be ready to take over
driving if the computer fails.  It is fair to say that this requirement
will be eventually removed.

Sitting in a car isn't as comfortable as sitting at home and the range of
activities I may do is reduced.  That may change a bit but I actually
don't think we'll get to the point where I don't care at all.  The
constant stopping and starting of the vehicle may actually be annoying
even if I don't have to sit in the driver's seat too.  I'd liken it to
sitting on a commuter train now, perhaps being a little more comfortable.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Email: robert at timetraveller.org		Linux counter ID #16440
IRC: Solver (OFTC, Freenode and Snoonet)