[LINK] Jan's NBN experience

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Mon Mar 27 12:05:47 AEDT 2017

On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 5:46 PM, Andy Farkas <andyf at andyit.com.au> wrote:

> Jan is on a 12Mbps plan. Modern-day wifi (802.11ac) can do 300Mbps. My
> ancient wireless access point (WAP) can do 54Mbps (802.11g).

No, it can't.   802.11g maxes out at slightly less an 20Mbps useable, less
with more than one client active or if there's other wifi base stations
around.

Newer wifi can potentially do more, but if the AP or the device only
support 2.4Ghz then it's not surprising to once again hit that limit of
around 20Mbps - especially if there are multiple other 2.4Ghz base stations
around.

Still more than the 12Mbps, but not the numbers you're claiming.

And before someone starts claiming that HFC isn't up to delivering 12Mbps
at peak times, the simple fact is that I have no trouble sucking down
280Mbps over HFC no matter what time of day or night I test...

  Scott