[LINK] Jan's NBN experience

JanW jwhit at internode.on.net
Mon Mar 27 13:28:45 AEDT 2017

At 11:30 AM 27/03/2017, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

>We'd need to know the result of a speed test (like speedtest.net) at the time of the problem, ideally from a wired connection.

As I said, I did the speed test to the laptop, in the same room, just 2 meters from the Chromecast dongle and got:
- perfect, non-buffer Netflix
I could watch the pass-thru spikes as the feed was coming. It evidently isn't a smooth stream. It spiked in at around the 5mbs rate as it fed the program. I found that interesting. I'm only on the SD level Netflix, so I'm not asking for much.

- If anyone is on Internode, the MUM program shows what's happening between your device and the network. But NOT the network performance to the house. Is anyone aware of a full LAN monitoring tool? The Huawei modem interface doesn't appear to have it. It does provide ping and traceroute, but that's about all. And again. that is going to be to the device, not the full LAN I think

- the file download speed via MUM showed jerky thru-put. That is the one that loads via Internode servers to my laptop. It was fine this morning. Again, Chromecast isn't in the picture.

- Just now doing a Neflix test via the tablet control/Chromecast. It loaded reasonably well, then less than a minute in, it stopped for a reload. I've had it going for about an hour and the only lag is when the next episode needs to start. (and I'm sure after I've sent this, it could stop behaving :-) )

If anyone does know of a LAN monitor that works on Windows 7, I would be much obliged to hear of it.

Jan

I write books. http://janwhitaker.com/?page_id=8

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Twitter: <https://twitter.com/JL_Whitaker>JL_Whitaker
Blog: www.janwhitaker.com

Some psychopaths become serial killers, and other psychopaths become prosecutors. - Bob Ruff, Truth and Justice, June 2016

Sooner or later, I hate to break it to you, you're gonna die, so how do you fill in the space between here and there? It's yours. Seize your space.
~Margaret Atwood, writer