[LINK] Fwd: Some peace of mind about the NBN

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Thu Nov 9 12:24:49 AEDT 2017

From: "iiNet" <support at iinet.net.au>
Date: 1 Nov 2017 10:58:12 +0800

I wrote to iiNet on 1 Nov with this inquiry:
>>I'm concerned about the statement that "The NBN will not be replacing the network which powers your current VDSL2 broadband service".
>>Is this true?
>>My understanding was that, once the NBN becomes available in an area, suppliers have to progressively close down other services.
>>There are many parts of Canberra where the NBN is available, and many more where the over-build has commenced:
>>http://nbnco.com.au/learn-about-the-nbn/rollout-map.html
>>Our address isn't on the current map, but as I understand it, it will be.
>>Further, I understand that people living in areas that have NBN available have also received the same letter from you.

After a delay in responding and rejecting their initial, boilerplate response, I received this vacuous reply dated Wed, 8 Nov 2017 19:09:26 +0800:
>As per the email your service will not be affected by nbn , nbn mostly affects adsl services and your service is a vdsl service so it wont be affected .

It might be true, but iiNet's service these days is absolutely atrocious, so anything that the company says is untrustworthy without supporting evidence.

I wonder where in these sites the relevant documentation might be:
https://www.communications.gov.au/what-we-do/internet
https://www.acma.gov.au/
https://www.nbnco.com.au/

Tel: +61 2 6288 6916                        http://about.me/roger.clarke

Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Law            University of N.S.W.