[LINK] Revealed: the fastest telcos and cities in Australia for broadband

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Fri Nov 10 10:01:06 AEDT 2017

>On 09/11/17 13:50, antonybbarry at gmail.com wrote:
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/technology/technology-news/revealed-the-fastest-telcos-and-cities-in-australia-for-broadband-20171108-gzhmyb.html

At 8:24 +1100 10/11/17, Tom Worthington wrote:
>And the winner is ... ?

With Wollongong, Geelong, Gold Coast and Newcastle topping the charts, it'd be nice to think that the decentralisation strategies that were touted in the 1970s and 1980s are paying off at last.

(Yeah, alright, I know, it's just an anomaly).

An aside on Canberra:

Much of the city uses TransACT VDSL2.  Is it an appropriate characterisation to call that an updated version of an early form of FTTN?  If so, then 32/14 MBps could be seen as being current state of the art?

I'm currently showing, measured consecutively over 3 or 4 minutes:
Ookla 72/18, Telstra 72/18, iiNet 72/18.
(Have they all consolidated onto a single outsourced service?).

So I guess I can blame some of the sites I visit for poor response-times, possibly due to the rubbish they load their 'pages' up with, and partly because of the scores of other sites that they, without authorisation, invite to join in the clamour to extract data from me and project rubbish at me.

I wonder whether VDSL2 has a reasonable upgrade path from here on, or whether the NBN overbuild will later prove to be valuable for locals.

The already-TransACTed parts of Canberra should of course be *somewhere* on the NBNCo lists.

But it's hard to see the prioritisation of those areas (over others elsewhere that currently have poor services) as anything other than a money-grab by NBNCo, in order to get access to the attractive Canberra demographic.

When I chaired the (shortlived) ACT Online Services Advisory Group back in 1997-99, I suggested that Canberra was the financially most attractive small city in the world, with 300,000 people who score high on education, tech capabilities and expectations, assets and income.  (Oddity:  Also, by my reckoning, the highest concentration of biology PhDs in the world).

Tel: +61 2 6288 6916                        http://about.me/roger.clarke

Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Law            University of N.S.W.