[LINK] NBN in multiple connected households

David dlochrin at key.net.au
Tue Nov 14 22:21:41 AEDT 2017

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 12:31:49 Dr Bob Jansen wrote:

> Does anyone know what the situation is when the NBN connects to a building that has more than one Internet connection? Our building, a converted factory with multiple appartments, has two connections on two physical phone lines, one to TPG and the other to Telstra. Will each connection be upgraded or will they have to be joined in a single physical connection? If a single physical connection, can more than one ISP provide internet services?

As has recently been noted on Link, only Telstra and Optus have contracted to end their existing copper-based services when the NBN becomes available in an area.  My understanding is that TPG are providing fibre-based services to apartment buildings in high-density metropolitan areas using their own fibre, so those services will undoubtedly remain as is.

Residents in your building can thus choose between TPG using their existing infrastructure or any NBN ISP.  Existing TPG customers can stay put, but existing Telstra customers will have to make a choice.  Of course voice services can be provided independently by third parties.

David L.