[LINK] Cars, again

David Boxall linkdb at boxall.name
Fri Nov 17 07:16:08 AEDT 2017

On 16/11/2017 11:02 PM, Karl Auer wrote:
>> The practical question of implementation only becomes relevant when
>> there's agreement about the goal.
>
> No new technology has ever - EVER - followed that path. There will be
> no agreement about goals, no agreement about anything. People will get
> on with implementing stuff, using thousands of different "benchmarks",
> while the law and regulators follow years behind.
 From Musk himself:
> “Regulators may require some significant margin above human capability in order for a full autonomy to be engaged,” said Musk. “They may say it needs to be 50 percent safer, 100 percent safer, 1000 percent safer, I don’t know. I’m not sure they know either.”
> “Now that the foundation of the Tesla vision neural net is right, which was an exceptionally difficult problem, as it must fit into far less computing power than is typically used, we expect a rapid rollout of additional functionality over the next several months, and are progressing rapidly towards our goal of a coast-to-coast drive with no one touching the controls.”https://www.inverse.com/article/38049-elon-musk-self-driving-autopilot-tesla

If we truly want to examine accidents involving autonomous vehicles,
then there's far more to learn from this:
> Las Vegas police officer Aden Ocampo-Gomez said the truck’s driver was at fault for the crash ...
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/nov/09/self-driving-bus-crashes-two-hours-after-las-vegas-launch-truck-autonomous-vehicle
The autonomous shuttle could have avoided the accident, but wasn't
programmed to back away from the hazard. In the lab staying still
probably seemed safer, but it assumed the human driver was paying attention.

Nobody really knows what we're doing, but we _are_ doing it. Some will
huddle in a corner, whimpering. Others will get on with the job.

--
David Boxall                    |  For when the One Great Scorer comes
http://david.boxall.id.au       |  He writes-not that you won or lost-
                                 |  But how you played the game.
                                                       --Grantland Rice