[LINK] NBN & POTS

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 13:25:56 AEST 2017

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 12:03 PM, David Lochrin <dlochrin at key.net.au> wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 September 2017 at 15:29 I wrote:
>
>> However the POTS service continued to be available right up to the time I switched on the modem, and there was no background VDSL noise.  Can any Linker please explain how can this be so?

They operate at different frequencies. Do you hear noise after the
modem came into service?

<snip>

> CONTINUED PROVISION OF VOICE SERVICES
> Retail and wholesale customers have the option of a partial migration to the nbn network which will allow the current service provider to continue to supply circuit switched telephony services on the Telstra copper network.  If this option is requested by an end-user, nbn co will enable Telstra’s continued supply to its wholesale customer of the voiceband on copper to the Premises (Voiceband Continuity).
> UNQUOTE
>
> So it seems NBN Co. can provide POTS voice in the 100 Hz to 4 KHz spectrum concurrently with VDSL2 data, though whether this can go beyond the 18-month complete cutover of an area is unclear.  I see Netcomm even sell the appropriate filter-splitters.  I presume this is part of the explanation for my original question.

There are areas where the the voice services will be continued -
regional areas where fixed wireless and satellite cannot replace the
existing fixed voice services. Telstra will be continuing to provide
these services.

All other areas will be disconnected after the 18mo* window.

* YMMV thanks to individual RSP cease sale approaches outside the
amount allowed for in the framework

--

Narelle
narellec at gmail.com