[LINK] NBN & POTS

David Lochrin dlochrin at key.net.au
Thu Sep 14 15:56:48 AEST 2017

On Thursday 14 September 2017 at 15:03 Jim Birch wrote:

> This [POTS continuing to operate] would be an almost mandatory feature  to decrease the irate customer and/or horror headline risk where there is an issue with some component of the FTTN system.  Granny death on NBN phone failure anyone?
>
> My FTTN line cutover had the same service continuity, but that's on a separate channel.

My guess is that FTTN nodes multiplex the POTS and VDSL2 signals onto the copper by default, just as is done now with POTS & ADSL, but the POTS signal is jumpered out unless a customer specifically asks for "voiceband continuity".

The POTS signal would then occupy the bottom 100Hz to 4KHz, and VDSL from 25KHz to 25MHz (?).

My friend had a POTS service configured with dual numbers and ring cadences, one of which was detected by her FAX machine.  This option isn't available now, but it enabled a user to have separate 'phone & FAX numbers with a single line rental charge (and of course only one at a time could operate).  Perhaps she was given voiceband-continuity as a replacement?

You can see Telstra will get a nice windfall selling off all that exchange real estate after the MTM complaints fade away and everyone is kicked off POTS onto VoIP.

David L.