[LINK] Google data collection issues

David dlochrin at key.net.au
Mon Apr 23 20:13:56 AEST 2018

On Monday, 23 April 2018 16:58:07 AEST Tom Worthington wrote:
> Google has large amounts of data about me. But as long as they use it just try to sell me stuff I am not too worried. If they give the data to someone else to try to change my vote I would be worried.

But you're part of a social-economic-political demographic in a particular area.  Google, Cambridge Analytica, or whoever may not send letters to you personally, but your personal profile may contribute to an electorate profile and then to a campaign specially tailored for the people who live in that electorate.

This is manipulation on a grand scale.

It could be argued that CA et al are just doing "sophisticated" advertising.  But the problem is that it's designed to operate at a non-rational level, and the world desperately needs *rational* evidence-based decision-making if we're not all going to suffer.

DavidL.