[LINK] The ABC weighs in on My Health Record

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Thu Aug 2 22:47:00 AEST 2018

On 2/08/2018 9:15 PM, David Boxall wrote:
> Cue whining from the Coalition about ABC bias.
>
> http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-02/my-health-record-still-not-safe/10063026
>
>> My Health Record still isn't safe enough to proceed. It needs more
>> than a band-aid fix
>> Medical records are far more valuable than credit card details as a
>> means of identity theft, due to the massive amount of personal
>> information they contain about you, your family and your life
>> history. They are a jackpot for hackers, fetching a high price on the
>> dark web.
>> Privacy to pry, however, is assured for the 900,000 people who will
>> have access to your My Health Record. Their names won't be logged and
>> audited when accessing your record, only their institution's name
>
> If they can't even trace access down to the individual user level,
> should the system even be operating?

No.

I have a different argument against My Health Record:

"When it comes to the healthcare relationship between you and your
doctor, any third party distorts the trust that is essential for the
relationship to work.

The problem is that the government treats itself as a privileged case,
not as a third party. The government should be a third party like
everyone else. If that is accepted, then MyHR should not exist.

Because it does exist, it will distort the trust necessary for good
health care"

It's actually an extension of the "everything you measure gets distorted
by the measuring".

--

Regards
brd