[LINK] Ported telephone numbers

David dlochrin at key.net.au
Fri Jan 12 12:17:27 AEDT 2018

On Friday, 12 January 2018 10:48:08 AM AEDT Tom Worthington wrote:
> There is a risk in customers assuming the NBN phone connection will be as reliable as the service it replaces.

There's cynicism for you!!

I've been using VoIP since January 2006, first with Engin (which had a problem with echo at the far-end) then since December 2011 with my current ISP.  However I can only remember service being unavailable once when the ISP's VoIP server recently had a problem.  Maybe that will happen more frequently for a while as new VoIP services are taken up.

I've only been on the NBN for about a month but it hasn't failed as far as I'm aware.  For what it's worth, I'm on the end of about 1Km of copper, and VDSL2 initialises at 28 Mbit/s downstream, just over three times the ADSL rate.  VDSL2 apparently handles long runs better.

VoIP echo seems to be mostly caused by impedance mismatch at the FXS (telephone) port.  The correct value for Australia is a complex impedance, it's not purely resistive (600 ohms).

DavidL.