[LINK] Ported telephone numbers

David dlochrin at key.net.au
Sat Jan 13 10:02:38 AEDT 2018

On Friday, 12 January 2018 12:43:52 PM AEDT Paul Brooks wrote:

> I think what you're looking for is RFC 6116 ENUM - a DNS lookup of a telephone number to a URI such as a SIP address, and RFC 5067, RFC 5526 "Infrastructure ENUM", and RFC 3824 "Using E.164 number with SIP".

That is indeed what I had in mind, but wasn't aware of those RFCs.

> Considerations like lawful interception, metadata retention etc require the call to pass through the RSPs on the way through, it can't just take a shorter routing path direct IP-to-IP or neighbour-to-neighbour like nirvana of IP telephony might imagine, as it might occur within a single campus like a corporate office, so there's little real routing efficiency to be gained.

I hadn't thought of that.  However some VoIP devices allow IP-routed (and encrypted) calls now, and anyone can set up an IPsec tunnel.  But packets are still routed over an IP network, and I think it's true that most of the value of meta-data lies in knowing who is communicating with whom; it's probably easier for ASIO to hack into a computer directly if they want to know what's going on.

I take your point about addressing architecture.

Cheers!
DavidL.