[LINK] Urgent: MyHR Opt-Out

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Thu Jul 19 16:24:13 AEST 2018

On Thu, 2018-07-19 at 15:44 +1000, Jim Birch wrote:
> This is the version 1.0 product.

Yep. And Rule Number One is, never deploy v1.0.

> Declaring that it is no use and never will be seems perhaps a little
> too grandiose to me.

That's a straw man. MyHR's usefulness is certainly in serious doubt,
but that is NOT why so many people fear it. People fear it because it
is founded on betrayal, because it provides them with no real control
over their information, and because there are no (and can be no)
controls over the future uses the data may be put to. For a lot of
people, those negative definites outweigh the rather few and very
nebulous positive maybes.

> Change induces fear and it doesn't work perfectly first time but
> taking the long view very few people actually want to live in eg the
> 14th century. The idea that health needs to be excluded from the
> Internet age is crazy.

That's another straw man. Nobody is looking back wistfully at the 14th
century. Nobody is saying that we should exclude health from the
Internet age.

But it has to be done the right way. Setting up a massive, poorly
controlled, poorly secured, poorly managed and poorly curated helth
database on all Australians is not the way. It's not just a V1.0
problem, it is a fundamentally wrongheaded approach.

As to "not working perfectly the first time" you are talking about a
system here that could have devastating privacy effects. It HAS to work
pretty close to perfectly the first time, because for the people it
destroys, there is no second time. You can't just say "let's have
another go".

Regards, K.

PS: It amazes me that no-one seems to have figured out that this is the
Australia Card, masked as a health system.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: A0CD 28F0 10BE FC21 C57C 67C1 19A6 83A4 9B0B 1D75
Old fingerprint: A52E F6B9 708B 51C4 85E6 1634 0571 ADF9 3C1C 6A3A