[LINK] Don’t believe the hype: We’re a long way from 5G

David dlochrin at key.net.au
Tue Jun 5 12:19:16 AEST 2018

On Monday, 4 June 2018 21:04:07 AEST Stephen Loosley wrote:

> Ah yes .. Huawei …. drinking tea with sharp eyes?
>
> “China  Aims For Near-Total Surveillance, Including in People's Homes”

And what's this in Toronto?
See http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-31/concerns-over-google-city-in-toronto/9815446

QUOTE
Google plan for data-driven 'smart city' sparks privacy, democracy concerns

In the Canadian city of Toronto, city officials are negotiating a project that will give a section of the city's waterfront to the US tech giant Google.

Under the arrangement, Google affiliate Sidewalk Labs will build and run a high-tech "radical mixed-use" site called Quayside.

This "smart city" plan involves creating a neighbourhood "from the internet up", powered and served by data; with sensors monitoring everything from air quality to pedestrian traffic, even the flushing of toilets.

Amenities like garbage disposal and goods delivery are to be coordinated and driven by AI and robotics.

The proposed parcel of land isn't huge, but it's not insubstantial either - it covers about half-a-square-kilometre, and there are already suggestions it could be extended.

Modest test-site, grand ambition

An official launch for the project last October was attended by the city's mayor, the premier of Ontario Province and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Trudeau lavished praise on the project, describing it as an "extraordinarily exciting" development that was destined to become "a model for cities around the world."

Sidewalk Labs, the Prime Minister promised, would transform Quayside into "a thriving hub for innovation and a community for thousands of people" while providing unprecedented opportunities for Canadian innovators.

The Google affiliate has already committed more than USD $50 million to the joint planning and pilot-testing phase, and is currently six months into a public consultation period.
[...more]
UNQUOTE

DavidL.