[LINK] Don’t believe the hype: We’re a long way from 5G

David dlochrin at key.net.au
Thu Jun 7 10:59:22 AEST 2018

On Thursday, 7 June 2018 08:39:41 AEST Tom Worthington wrote:

> Perhaps I am confident of finding competent people because I train them at ANU. I tutor teams of programmers and engineers at ANU. One one of my teams this semester built a simulator for testing software in thousands of interconnected sensors for a defence company. https://cs.anu.edu.au/TechLauncher/get_involved/call_for_projects/

I think Paul was referring to software bloat introduced by development environments, not the inherent skills of the developers.

DEs can turn out terrible HTML, with many levels of redundancies appearing during the development process, and clunky code due to extensive use of libraries, internal checking, and very general transaction-processing protocols such as Tuxedo.  There's very definitely a place for these things in big-system implementations, but it will be interesting to see what survives into the age of internet-connected toilets.

I had about ten years tutoring Software Engineering projects at a university in Sydney.

DavidL.