[LINK] The "health" record security model

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Mon Nov 12 15:26:09 AEDT 2018

On 12/11/2018 2:01 PM, Jim Birch wrote:
> Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>
>     On 12/11/2018 11:52 AM, Jim Birch wrote:
>

>     Are you aware that when you get a myhr it will be pretty empty and
>     history will not be uploaded?
>

> Of course.  Are you aware that when you buy a house it is not full of
> furniture and homely memories?

That would be dishonest. Rather like the government claiming that "My
Health Record is an on-line summary of your health information". Not,
could be; not, could become; not, only if you see your GP and authorise
them to be your representative, but IS.

>     PBS data that is uploaded automatically might give some indication
>     of medical problems, but the gap between script and reality can be
>     significant.
>

> Absolutely.  And the seatbelts that were introduced in the 1960 would
> not cut it today - too dangerous.  Does that mean they should not have
> been introduced.  No, they were an improvement.
>
> This whole argument is a bit wonky.  Do you want the health system we
> have now, the one we had a 50 or a hundred years ago?   I don't want
> either.  I want the world that continuously improves not the one that
> is perfect.  I would ideally like to be treated by the health system
> of two centuries in the future and the sooner we get there the
> better.  I certainly would prefer the MyHR that's been running for a
> few decades and has complete and reliable information but there is
> only one way to get there.

I agree, but myhr isn't the way of the future. All it is is a very bad
document management system with no smarts and huge costs and risks.

The problems in healthcare are not about records. I saw an advert for an
international conference recently that was all about clinical medicine
of the future. Not a single mention of medical or health records.

It's all about better data acquisition, analysis and diagnosis followed
by more targeted treatment, not just symptoms and risk reduction, which
is what most of today's clinical medicine is.

>  I just don't get this end of history thing.

It's the end of history, because there are better ways than the old ways.

--

Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn