[LINK] RFC: Guidelines re Avoiding Looking Like a Scammer

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Tue Nov 13 10:17:48 AEDT 2018

On 12/11/18 5:23 pm, Roger Clarke wrote:

> ... Is anyone aware of guidance for marketers ...

No, but we do teach this stuff to IT students, some of whom are doing
business degrees:
http://www.tomw.net.au/basic_ict_professional_ethics/#ch170110

There doesn't appear to be anything on this in vocational qualifications
for marketers or financial advisers. The closest I could find was for
bureaucrats:

	"1.2 Prepare messages according to organisational protocols for
language, tone and format.

1.3 Check content, structure and recipient addresses for electronic mail
for accuracy."

	From: "Implement e-correspondence policies", Unit Of competency
PSPPCY005, Public Sector Training Package:
https://training.gov.au/Training/Details/PSPPCY005

> Aside:  It would be excellent if a relevant regulator had issued both
> guidance and stern warnings. ...

Perhaps the regulator should require each company to employ at least one
person qualified in Cyber Security.

> Why *do* the people concerned get to keep their jobs??

Because we keep letting them get away with it.

If a company can't compose a suitable email, can you be confident they
are taking care with your sensitive financial information?

--
Tom Worthington, MEd FHEA FACS CP http://www.tomw.net.au +61(0)419496150
TomW Communications Pty Ltd. PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia

Honorary Senior Lecturer, Computer Science, Australian National
University https://cecs.anu.edu.au/research/profile/tom-worthington