[LINK] RFI: Thunderbird

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Thu Oct 11 10:37:54 AEDT 2018

On 10/10/18 17:17, Roger Clarke wrote:

> (1) ... 24 of the non-spam emails I received had attachments ...

Perhaps you need something other than email to get these files. If these
are from students, for example, you might use a Learning Management
System (such as Moodle), an e-portfolio system (Mahara), or version
control system (Git). You get an email alert with a link taking you to
the file (s) stored in the system.

> (2) Filtering incoming messages into themed mailboxes  ...

I use Fastmail.com to spam and virus check my mail, then filter it into
folders, before it gets to Thunderbird. The mail is stored on the
server, with a copy on my laptop.

Also, I use some plug-ins for Thunderbird to make it easier to use:

* "Lightening" works with Microsfot Calendaring
* "LookOut" reads TNEF encoded files from Microsoft mail

--
Tom Worthington, MEd FHEA FACS CP http://www.tomw.net.au +61(0)419496150
TomW Communications Pty Ltd. PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia

Honorary Senior Lecturer, Computer Science, Australian National
University https://cecs.anu.edu.au/research/profile/tom-worthington