[LINK] 5G not safe?

Gerard Borg Gerard.Borg at anu.edu.au
Sat Apr 6 09:50:36 AEDT 2019

Hello David et. al.

You are correct for R.M.S (root mean square electric field) which is the
usual way to express
averages.

(R.M.S. Electric Field) = (Peak Electric Field) /  sqrt(2)

My calculations follow.

Relation of power density to electric field strength (assume R.M.S
electric field) is as you say
given by

POWER_DENSITY__WATTS_PER_SQMETER =
(ELECTRIC_FIELD_STRENGTH__VOLTS_PER_METER)^2 / (120 * pi)

If...
ELECTRIC_FIELD_STRENGTH__VOLTS_PER_METER = 9 R.M.S.
then..
POWER_DENSITY__WATTS_PER_SQMETER =  0.215

We can also compute a hard exposure limit.

Consider RF transmission with 4Watt EIRP (Equivalent Isotropic Radiated
Power).
This would apply to WiFi using 2.5GHz or 5GHz and the legal emission limit.
https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2014C00930/ff366b29-3c57-447d-a6e7-e15451eeee83

Then the following calculation yields the maximum received upper power
density for any
type of antenna,

POWER_DENSITY__WATTS_PER_SQMETER = TRANSMIT_EIRP__WATTS  / (4 * pi  *
DISTANCE__METERS^2)

and for...
DISTANCE__METERS = 1
TRANSMIT_EIRP__WATTS = 4

we obtain...
POWER_DENSITY__WATTS_PER_SQMETER = 0.318
ELECTRIC_FIELD_STRENGTH__VOLTS_PER_METER = 10.9 R.M.S.

Having said this, actual human safety limits depend on RF carrier frequency.

5G power limits will have to comply with emission standards regardless
of what antenna(s) they use.
I do not believe that this will necessarily be difficult, even if base
stations have many antennas.

As an example from 5G, consider massive MIMO - a widely studied
technology which employs hundreds of
co-located, spectrum sharing  antennas on a base station. The obvious
reason for this approach is to
improve spectral efficiency by sharing the radio spectrum simultaneously
with many mobiles. This has
led to demonstrations of spectral efficiences > 70 bits-per-second-per-Hz.

Massive MIMO also has the desirable side-effect of reducing the total
power transmitted from base
stations and mobiles compared to conventional single antenna systems
under otherwise the same conditions.

Gerard