[LINK] The black hole image came thanks to student Katie Bouman, half a tonne of hard drives and a big coincidence - Science News - ABC News

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Fri Apr 12 10:04:54 AEST 2019

On 12/4/19 8:28 am, JLWhitaker wrote:
> Thank goodness they used planes and harddrives, otherwise they would
> have REALLY broken the Internet!!
> https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2019-04-11/black-hole-event-horizon-telescope-five-things-you-might-miss/10993112

Am I the only one shaking my head at the naivete of the media in
relation to this beat-up?

I like the idea of science, because it calls for scepticism, e.g.

1.  Q.  What colour is a black hole?
     A.  Black (or for colour theorists, 'it doesn't have any')

2.  Q1. If all energy in a big region is sucked into a small region,
         what electromagnetic signals will escape from it?
     A1. None

     Q2. What colour does the human body interpret if the eye receives
         no electromagnetic signals?
     A2. Black (or for colour theorists, 'none')

Meanwhile, the claim that this is the first 'photograph' of 'a black
hole' could only be true if we take an enormously liberal interpretation
of what a 'photograph' is.

There's been a vast amount of data gathered, which has then been
subjected to a massive amount of manipulation, based on models that are
based on a series of assumptions, in order to come up with a
consolidated set of data that's thought to represent a reality 'a long,
long time ago in a galaxy far away', which has then been rendered by
graphic artists in order to provide images that reflect longstanding
traditions of what light-shows in space ought to look like.

Vast resources are wasted pursuing the alice-in-wonderland
sub-atomic-particle game.  (Encounter error-factor, postulate another
backward-spinning entity with negative weight and both positive and
negative charge depending on whether the cat is dead, alive or both,
etc.  Wait until media have forgotten the last round.  Do it again.  Ad
infinitum).

Now we're wasting vast resources on vastly backwards-looking
examinations of background noise, pretending that we'll get to see what
the Big Bang looked like.  Or not, as the case may be.

Roger Clarke                            mailto:Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
T: +61 2 6288 6916   http://www.xamax.com.au  http://www.rogerclarke.com

Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Law            University of N.S.W.