[LINK] ISP-level site-blocking of 'dangerous material'

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Mon Aug 26 10:16:35 AEST 2019

On 26/08/2019 8:55 am, Roger Clarke wrote:

> Govt agrees to ISP-level site-blocking of 'dangerous material'
> To create 24/7 centre to monitor 'online crisis events'.
>
> The government has agreed to formalise arrangements put in place
> following the Christchurch terror attack that saw access to online
> material associated with the incident blocked within Australia.

The Christchurch material was available only through 8Chan.com which was
accessed via the Tor browser.

There is no way in this world that the government and/or ISPs can
control such sites or access to them.

Cloudfare, who hosted 8Chan.com have taken the site down, but there are
reports that it will most likely turn up elsewhere. In the meantime it
is said that the bad boys are using 4Chan.org, an image sharing site,
which can be accessed via either Tor or your normal browser.

In the trade it's called security theatre.

If anyone is interested in such things, this month's Silicon Chip has an
article:

History of Cyber Espionage and Cyber Weapons, Part 1.

"The spooks have been using some ingenious methods to spy on each other
over the years. Here we look at just some of those methods and the
equipment they used."

Quite an eye-opener and it's only what is publicly known - you wonder
what goes on that we don't know about.

--

Regards
brd