[LINK] ISP-level site-blocking of 'dangerous material'

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Tue Aug 27 08:53:30 AEST 2019

On 26/8/19 8:55 am, Roger Clarke quoted:

> Govt ... To create 24/7 centre to monitor 'online crisis events'. Ry
> Crozier itNews Aug 26 2019 ...
>
> ... following the Christchurch terror attack that saw access to online
> material associated with the incident ...

Very few people saw the live material sent out by the gunman, or on
extremest sites. It was mainstream media organizations who spread the
footage, and the fear. Will sanctions be applied to these media
organizations?

> The Government would also update its crisis management framework to
> include a “24/7 Crisis Coordination Centre ...

Expect to see the PM launching the new center, in the same room used
whenever a high tech "we are in command" photo op is needed:
https://blog.tomw.net.au/2011/11/design-of-australian-defence-command.html

> ...  tackle social media algorithms that drive marginalised
> people to violent extremist narratives? ...

I doubt social media companies are designing such algorithms, as there
would be little money to be made from it. However, some commercial media
organizations, and major political parties, certainly do exploit
alarmist material, for financial and political ends. Will their
practices be investigated?

--
Tom Worthington, MEd FHEA FACS CP http://www.tomw.net.au +61(0)419496150
TomW Communications Pty Ltd. PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia

Honorary Lecturer, Computer Science, Australian National University
https://cecs.anu.edu.au/research/profile/tom-worthington