[LINK] NBN fault maintenance

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Mon Dec 2 12:26:40 AEDT 2019

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 8:17 PM David <dlochrin at aussiebb.com.au> wrote:

> And on a related matter, I'm told by a field technician that the Arris
> boxes (HFC / Ethernet protocol converters) supplied to those with an HFC
> connection are notoriously unreliable.  One found that 15 out of 20 devices
> in two boxes of 10 were faulty.  That figure probably isn't typical, but
> they certainly fail frequently and a simple box like that should have an
> MTBF measured in decades.
>
> How is such organisational incompetence possible?

Arris is the largest provider of Cable boxes in the world (made even more
true when they purchased Motorola cable business from Google a few years
ago), and is what companies such a Comcast use as their standard
cable modem boxes.

Whilst any product can certainly have a bad batch, there's no way that the
Arris boxes are "notoriously unreliable", nor that there's any level of
"organisational incompetence" as a result of them being used.

  Scott