[LINK] Project Wings in Canberra, the Law, and Public Opinion

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Mon Feb 4 08:38:00 AEDT 2019

On 3/2/19 10:18 am, Roger Clarke wrote:

> Tom, are you suggesting that's an appropriate way to run a country? ...

No, I am pointing out that CASA is a safety authority, and only mandated
to collect data on drone *safety*.

If you want other data on drone trials, you need to look to some other
part of government.

The Queensland Government has a detailed drones strategy, but this
focuses on access to data collected by government agencies.
https://www.premiers.qld.gov.au/publications/categories/plans/assets/qld-drones-strategy-2018.pdf

The same questions might be asked about autonomous vehicle trials: how
much of the data has to be shared by companies conducting the trials?

The NRMA's report "Trialling Autonomous Vehicles in NSW" (p. 6, 2017),
points out that the Singapore Minister for Transport can "impose
requirements to share trial data".
https://www.mynrma.com.au/-/media/documents/reports-and-subs/trialling-autonomous-vehicles-in-nsw.pdf?#page=6

If there is no Australian policy on this, perhaps we need to write some:

	"A condition of approval of autonomous vehicle trials on public land,
in airspace, on or under waterways, or seas, is that the data collected
will be released under a open access license, within thirty days of the
data collection."

Then wait for someone in a minister's office to copy and paste it into
law. ;-)

--
Tom Worthington, MEd FHEA FACS CP http://www.tomw.net.au +61(0)419496150
TomW Communications Pty Ltd. PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia

Honorary Lecturer, Computer Science, Australian National University
https://cecs.anu.edu.au/research/profile/tom-worthington