[LINK] The shocking reason the U.S. wants to stop =?utf-8?Q?Facebook=E2=80=99s_?=Libra

Paul Bolger pbolger at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 15:29:25 AEST 2019

https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/on-the-media-full-faith-credit

Most schoolchildren learn that money arose when barter proved insufficient for meeting everyday trade needs. People required more complex transactions, so they invented currency: a medium of exchange, unit of account and store of value. It's a compelling story...but a false one. Instead, most evidence suggests that money arose from recordkeeping — or, as UC Irvine professor Bill Maurer explains to Bob, "in the beginning was not the coin... in the beginning was the receipt." In this segment, Bob speaks with Maurer and Brown University's Mark Blyth about past and present myths about money, and what the history of money might suggest about its future.
This segment is from our July 5th, 2019 episode, Full Faith & Credit.