[LINK] Master of Cyber Security

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Sat Mar 9 19:51:10 AEDT 2019

On 9/3/19 7:12 pm, Stephen Loosley wrote:
> An advertisement today on the world Reddit front page .. well done guys.
> Master of Cyber Security - Graduate In 2 Years, Part-Time.
> Australian Government Recognised Academic Centre Of Cyber Security Excellence.
> https://studyonline.ecu.edu.au/ppc/master-cyber-security

This isn't a comment on the quality of the content, because I don't have
any basis to form an opinion about that.

But two aspects are striking.

(1)  The workload is at best marginally more than half of what Grad
      Certs, Grad Dips and Masters degrees required in the 1970s

(2)  The entry qualifications are very loose:  a Bachelor degree in any
      discipline, and English competency;  or five years of relevant
      professional experience (without any indication of the criteria of
      relevance - will any work with computers of any kind do the job?)

Even the ratchetted-down requirements of the 1990s involved the
completion of additional undergraduate units (graced with a separate
unit-code, plus nominally more difficult assignments and/or exams), in
order to establish effectively a pre-requisite double-major.

People with appropriate background could get value out of this (although
they need a lot for $42-45,000 - and apparently the same price for all
comers - at c.$4,600 per unit of study, after discounting for the light
supervision that comes with project-work).  OTOH, the people who squeeze
in because of the lax pre-requisites are likely to come out of it with
pretty vague impressions of the subject-matter.

Roger Clarke                            mailto:Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
T: +61 2 6288 6916   http://www.xamax.com.au  http://www.rogerclarke.com

Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Law            University of N.S.W.