[LINK] CT: 'So, no one is responsible [for drone noise]?'

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Thu Mar 28 10:31:49 AEDT 2019

'So, no one is responsible?': Drone noise questions linger
Dan Jervis-Bardy
The Canberra Times
March 27, 2019 — 7.05pm
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/act/so-no-one-is-responsible-drone-noise-questions-linger-20190327-p5184m.html

Air Services Australia has become the latest government agency to
publicly distance itself from oversight of delivery drones, casting
further uncertainty over the regulation of the technology.

The ACT government and Civil Aviation Safety Authority have previously
said their powers and remit do not extend to the regulation of
commercial drone noise, meaning it remains unclear which, if any,
government authority is charged with monitoring the issue.

Air Service Australia officials Tim De Raadt, Craig Charker and Marcus
Knauer, pictured above, appeared before the ACT Assembly's drone inquiry
on Wednesday.

On Wednesday, senior Air Services Australia officials told the ACT
Assembly's drone inquiry that it did monitor aircraft noise, but only
within about five kilometres of an airport.

Concerns about noise emitted by Wing's delivery drones emerged as a key
concern during the tech company's Bonython trial, and a large portion of
the inquiry's public hearings has been spent attempting to establish who
is responsible for policing it.

Liberal MLA Jeremy Hanson, who chaired the committee conducting the
inquiry, said it appeared "nobody wanted to put their hand up and take
responsibility for drone noise".

"Who is responsible for the noise of drones, the sort of drone that
Project Wing is flying around suburbs in Canberra?" Mr Hanson said.

"If the answer is no one, then the answer is no one; we need to know
that. What we are trying to do is chase down whose responsibility it is.
And is there a regulation or an act under which they are empowered to do
that?"

In response, Air Services Australia's acting executive general manager,
Craig Charker, said his agency did not "interact" with drones unless
they intended to fly within a five-kilometre radius and 120-metre
vertical range of an airport.

"Something away from the airport, it is not something that we get
involved with at all," Mr Charker said. "In that context, our ability to
control and influence noise outcomes is difficult."

Mr Hanson pushed again, asking: "So in simple terms, no one is
responsible and there is no regulation?".

Air Services Australia chief air traffic controller Marcus Nauer said
existing noise regulations for aircraft only applied to vehicles
weighing more than 150 kilograms, meaning light-weight drones were
almost certainly exempt. Mr Nauer said those regulations were based on
International Civil Aviation Organiation (ICAO) standards, which make no
mention of drones.

"So is there a standard for drone noise anywhere in the world?" asked
committee member and Labor MLA Suzanne Orr.

"No," Mr Charker responded.

The evidence will likely fuel community concerns about a lack of
regulation of household delivery drones as Wing prepares to launch its
permanent operation in Canberra's northern suburbs in the coming months.

The Google-linked company will, however, be buoyed by the appearance of
drone supporters Adam Rucinski-Stanek and Phillip Balding at Wednesday's
hearing.

Mr Rucinski-Stanek was among the Bonython residents to use Wing's
delivery service and said his experience was overwhelmingly positive.

"I really enjoyed it," Mr Rucinski-Stanek said.

"I guess I'm an advocate for new innovative technology. There is an
excitement to trying something new and to have people over to my house
to share in that excitement of getting a delivery by air, and super
quickly."

Meanwhile, the Civil Aviation Safety Authority has announced that
prospective drone pilots will need to obtain a "flyers licence" and
register their aircraft from July this year.

"For the first time we will know who owns a drone, where they are flying
their drone, what sort of drone it is," the authority's spokesman, Peter
Gibson, told ABC News on Wednesday.

"It will give us a more accurate picture of the drone population across
Australia, [and] it will ensure that people are aware of their safety
obligations when they fly a drone."

Roger Clarke                            mailto:Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
T: +61 2 6288 6916   http://www.xamax.com.au  http://www.rogerclarke.com

Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Law            University of N.S.W.