[LINK] Facial recognition system rollout was too rushed, Queensland police report reveals - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

JLWhitaker jwhit at internode.on.net
Mon May 6 09:03:34 AEST 2019

Remember the Commonwealth Games a few years ago? Remember the big push
in Qld to implement facial recognition?

Turns out it was a bust. And not only that, they ended up using it for
regular policing. As it says in the article - scope creep. That didn't
take long, did it?

Thank goodness there is an Information Commissioner up there who thinks
these reports are important for the public to understand how underhanded
some govt agencies actually are and required Queensland Police to
release it. Interestingly, the Privacy Commissioner didn't even get a
copy of the report and it took the ABC release for them to even find out
about it!

That raises a concept for any intrusive legislation like this: ALL new
surveillance technology implementations must have - an evaluation
program that will be done by an independent body that will be publicly
released. That last part probably needs some room to not release
security damaging aspects of the report, but at least the public must be
made aware of how these systems actually work. I doubt even the
legislators who passed the legislation are even aware how bad this one
stinks.

We tend to concentrate at PIAs at the front end of the process, but, as
far as I am aware, have not demanded completion of the implementation
circle of events, an evaluation of what actually happened and happens
once they are implemented. It's probably too much to ask for an end of
life plan for these things, including social and environmental impacts,
things like data destruction.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-06/australias-biggest-facial-recognition-roll-out-rushed/11077350

Jan

--
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Twitter: @JL_Whitaker
Blog: www.janwhitaker.com

Sooner or later, I hate to break it to you, you're gonna die, so how do you fill in the space between here and there? It's yours. Seize your space.
~Margaret Atwood, writer