[LINK] itN: 'Third fatal Tesla Autopilot crash ...'

David dlochrin at key.net.au
Mon May 20 18:56:04 AEST 2019

On Monday, 20 May 2019 11:11:15 AEST Karl Auer wrote:

> You are describing what it feels like to accompany a learner driver :-)

Well imagined (:-)!

> I suspect monitoring a self-driving cars feel more like accompanying someone with gaps in their experience. In those situations, you will pay greater attention.

Well yes, except that I know a conscious, human driver will be having very similar perceptions and brain activity to my own, and even the gaps in their experience are fairly predictable.

However the same absolutely cannot be said about the electronics package in an automated car which, as I've remarked before, is basically a statistical processor which attempts to correlate sensor patterns with those requiring action.  That's why Teslas have T-boned a truck in clear view and killed an unfortunate cyclist while she crossed the road.

Questions concerning criminal culpability are interesting, but insurance is probably more clear-cut.  Comprehensive policies normally only insure the nominated drivers, and I doubt an electronics package would qualify.

David L.