[LINK] itN: 'Third fatal Tesla Autopilot crash ...'

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Tue May 21 08:00:40 AEST 2019

On 20/5/19 10:00 am, David wrote:

> ... What actually is the benefit of an automated vehicle where the driver
> has to closely monitor every action of the computer? ...

The vehicle monitors the driver, to make sure they are paying attention
to the road. Seeing Machines technology was first used in non-automated
trucks, to check drivers were not suffering fatigue.

> Having to continually worry whether the computer was ...

The system checks the driver is looking out the window. If you close
your eyes, or look down for too long, an alarm sounds.

> And if there is an accident, to what extent am I legally responsible ...

If you fell asleep while driving, and the monitoring system failed to
wake you, it may not get you out of a conviction: you should be alert
when driving. However, it might be grounds for compensation from the car
company, for the resulting injury, or damage.

--
Tom Worthington, MEd FHEA FACS CP http://www.tomw.net.au +61(0)419496150
TomW Communications Pty Ltd. PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia

Honorary Lecturer, Computer Science, Australian National University
https://cecs.anu.edu.au/research/profile/tom-worthington