[LINK] Blocking Huawei from Australia means slower and delayed 5G – and for what?

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Wed May 29 20:41:30 AEST 2019

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 09:15:51AM +1000, Kim Holburn wrote:
> https://theconversation.com/blocking-huawei-from-australia-means-slower-and-delayed-5g-and-for-what-117507

I can't say I care that much about Huawei (really, what's the difference
between being spied on by the US, or China?), but anything that delays or
prevents the Internet of Spyware Shit panopticon that 5G will enable is a good
thing.

e.g. currently, while it's almost impossible to buy a non-"Smart" TV, you
**can** choose not to plug it in to a wired or wireless network.  With
ubiquitous 5G, that will NOT be an option, it WILL have a 5G connection to
spy on you 24/7 whether you want it to or not.  It will monitor what you're
watching, analyse and/or upload whatever is on any USB drives you plug in or
network file shares it can access, inflict ads over the top of DVDs and video
files etc, record and upload both video and audio of the room it's in, make an
asset inventory of wifi, bluetooth, RFID, NFC etc enabled items, detect nearby
"competitor" devices, and more.

The only way to avoid that will be to open the TV and physically remove or
destroy the 5G modem....and that will a) void the warranty, b) be a crime
because of of DMCA and DMCA-like laws, and c) probably trigger some "fuck
you, it's still our TV even though you bought it" shutdown response in the
firmware.

Ditto for toaster, fridge, washing machine, dishwasher, blender, and any other
device that the manufacturer wants to invent some stupid fucking reason to
make it Smart™.

Because you're the product.  Always and Forever.  Brand Loyalty Will Be
Enforced.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>