[LINK] itN: 'Third fatal Tesla Autopilot crash ...'

David dlochrin at key.net.au
Thu May 30 13:44:46 AEST 2019

On 29/05/2019 9:59 pm, Stephen Loosley wrote:

> A Tesla spokesperson retaliated and said: “Navigate on Autopilot is based on map data, fleet data, and data from the vehicle’s sensors. However, it is the driver’s responsibility to remain in control of the car at all times, including safely executing lane changes.”

And _that_ is the reason automated vehicle technology is not worth having.  We could have a discussion on whether it has nett positive or negative benefit now, but I'm curious about the motivation(s) and culture of those proselytising it.

What is their eventual goal?  Is it just blind faith in the inherent worth of technology?  There are certainly more efficient, cheaper, and safer ways of moving masses of people between centres.

David L.