[LINK] Card Cancellation as a Condition of Statement-Entry Enquiry

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Wed Oct 2 01:06:03 AEST 2019

This is standard best practice in the industry.

You are claiming that the charge is unknown, which in today's world
basically means fraudulent. It will take up to a month or more for the
process to complete to decide if it really is legitimate, but in that time
the presumption is that someone else has your details, and given they have
used them once it's likely they will use it again.

Canceling the card and issuing a new number will stop any future charges
occurring.  If banks didn't do this then the merchant for any future
fraudulent charges (who would normally be the ones carrying the liability)
would have a very solid claim that either the bank or you didn't take
suitable precautions to protect the card, and thus you or the bank are
liable for any future charges.

  Scott